12.11.09

WAR BOY (extract)


                      I'm watching Finn and Critter climb the steps into

the bus and this thought suddenly hits me and I mean upside

the head.

        They go inside each other's bodies.

        And it does seem kinda weird. It makes me wonder if I

really am prejudiced deep down. Then I remember how I felt

when I first found out my mom and dad did that and talk about

weird.

         It's impossible to stand still very long on the side walk be-

cause the crowd is like two rivers converging and going sud-

denly into rapids on the pathway through the trees. There's a

current that carries you along and we're already moving with it

when the bus pulls away but I can't help turning back to scan

the windows in case Finn and Critter switched sides. They 

didn't but the blonde did and now she's sitting where I was

and looking right at me or actually a little over my head which

means she's looking at Jonnyboy.

        Who's looking noplace but straight ahead and charging for-

ward with one hand locked around my wrist and the other

clenched above his head and I can't see his lips but I know

what they're saying which is vintage Johnny Rotten.

        As in Follow Me!

        Where the trees stop and the open field starts the sudden

heat from the people and the sun is like an airlock into another

world. Everyone slows down and there's room to move apart a

little and head for the different ticket kiosks. There's portable

chain-link fencing between them topped with blue and yellow

helium balloons instead of barbed wire and most of the people

taking tickets are Asian types in robes the color of those

crushed velvet ropes you see outside restaurants with valet

parking. We're at one end of a huge long grassy space too

narrow to really be an oval that slopes uphill toward a giant

stage built on scaffolding maybe three stories high. Bright col-

ored boxy tents with streamers and flags around the edges

make it seem like the midway of a carnival.

        Before the semis hauling the rides get there that is. Before 

the drivers discover there's no room for any rides with all the 

people. Who knows how many but all of Monterey has like

25,000 total and there must be twice that here. With more

than half of them boyz with their shirts off or else taking them

off right now the way Jonnyboy is because the field is com-

pletely surrounded by trees that shut down the natural San

Francisco air-conditioning from water on three sides and since

it's the middle of June the sun is twelve o'clock high in the sky

even though it's more like three. The film of sweat on Jonny-

boy's chest just emphasizes how built he is in a natural way

from surfing and sk8boarding and the letters of the Team Pain

tattoo on his left upper arm are distorted from climbing up the 

swell of his biceps and it almost shames me into keeping my

own shirt on but I just figure what the hey and tie mine around 

my waist too. 



- Kief Hillsbery, War Boy [Picador, 2000] pp. 41-42 


No comments:

Post a Comment