11.11.09

THE IDEAL STAR FIGHTER


                           l


Now a slight meniscus floats on the moral

      pigment of these times, producing

displacement of the body image, the politic

      albino. The faded bird droops in his

cage called fear and yet flight into

      his pectoral shed makes for comic

hysteria, visible hope converted to the

      switchboard of organic providence

at the tiny rate of say 0.25 per cent

      "for the earth as a whole". And why

go on reducing and failing like metal: the

      condition is man and the total crop yield

of fear, from the fixation of danger; in

      how we are gripped in the dark, the

flashes of where we are. It pays to be 

      simple, for screaming out, the eye

converts the news image to fear enzyme,

      we are immune to disbelief. "If there

is danger there ought to be fear", trans-

      location of the self to focal alert, "but

if fear is an evil why should there be

      danger?" The meniscus tilts the

water table, the stable end-product is dark

      motion, glints of terror the final inert

residue. Oriental human beings throw off

      their leafy canopies, expire; it is

the unpastured  sea hungering for calm.


                           ll


And so we hear daily of the backward

      glance at the planet, the reaction of

sentiment. Exhaust washes tidal flux 

      at the crust, the fierce acceleration

of mawkish regard. To be perceived with 

      such bounty! To put the ring-main of

fear into printed circuit, so that from the

      distant loop of the hate system the

whole object is lovable, delicious, ingested

      by heroic absorption! We should 

shrink from that lethal cupidity; moral

      stand-by is no substitute for 24-inch

reinforced concrete, for the blind certain 

      backlash. Yet how can we dream of

the hope to continue, how can the vectors

      of digression not swing into that curve

bounding the translocal, and slip over, so

      that the image of suffered love is

scaled off, shattered to a granulated pathos

      like the dotted pigments of cygnus?


                           lll


What more can be done. We walk

      in beauty down the street, we tread

the dust of our wasted fields. The

      photochemical dispatch is im-

minent, order-paper prepared. We

      cannot support that total of dis-

placed fear, we have already induced

      moral mutation of the species. The

permeated spectra of hated dominate

      all the wavebands, algal to hominid.

Do not take this as metaphor; thinking to

      finish the last half-pint of milk,

look at the plants, the entire dark dream outside.




- J.H.Prynne, Brass [Ferry, 1971] 



1 comment:

  1. [the whispered ones]; materials: blood, unbroken glass bottle, paint, wine, canvass, polystyrene, slowness, reflection, still-life, surgical gloves, cloth, exhaustion.

    I have been
    with your father
    and given him

    How comes that?

    I know not.

    the whispered ones,

    Not I / Pray you
    What are they?

    but ear-buzzing

    Pray you
    What are they?

    Have you heard of no

    Not a word.
    You may do
    then in time.

    itself perforce in
    to my business.


    I have one
    thing of a
    queasy question which
    I must act.

    Brother, a word
    descend, Brother I

    My father watches. O

    Not a word.
    You may do
    then in time.

    I hear my
    Father coming.

    Pardon me in cunning I must draw upon you. Draw.
    Seem to defend yourself no quit you well
    come before my
    father. Light here,
    here. Light, O
    here. So Fare Well.

    Some blood drawn upon me would beget opinion of my more fierce endeavour.
    more than this in sport.
    Father, father.
    Stop, stop. No
    Help

    Here he stood
    in the dark
    his sharp sword

    out

    But where is
    he?

    Look: I bleed.

    when by no
    means he could

    By no means
    what?

    Persuade me
    Murder
    But that I
    told him
    revenging
    parricides bend
    Spoke with how a bond
    The child was bound to the father
    The child was bound
    in fine, seeing
    opposite to his
    in fell motion with fell motion
    with his home
    My unprovided body my arm
    And
    But
    When he saw
    Bold
    Roused
    To the encounter or the noise
    I made,

    suddenly
    suddenly

    comes

    By his authority I will proclaim it


    He that conceals him, death.

    his intent,
    speech

    bastard, I think
    stand against reposure
    trust, virtue, worth
    Make words? No,
    though produce
    I'd turn it all
    To suggestion practice.
    If thought profits

    my death very pregnant

    his picture

    I will send
    far and near
    That all










    May have note of him.

    ReplyDelete